Billy Elliot: The Musical
swept the 2009 Tony Awards on Sunday night -taking home ten of the American theater's most esteemed honor during a Broadway season hit hard by the global economic downturn. The musical production follows the story of a young British boy who dreams of a career in showbusiness, against the wishes of his coal miner father.Here is a full list of the 2009 winners: BEST PLAY
* "God of Carnage" ADVERTISEMENT
* "Billy Elliot The Musical"
BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL
* "Billy Elliot The Musical" - Lee Hall
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE (MUSIC AND/OR LYRICS) WRITTEN FOR THE THEATER
* "Next to Normal" - Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey
BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY
* "The Norman Conquests"
BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
BEST SPECIAL THEATRICAL EVENT
* "Liza's at the Palace" - Liza Minnelli
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTOR IN A PLAY
* Geoffrey Rush - "Exit The King"
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTRESS IN A PLAY
* Marcia Gay Harden - "God of